Ordinary People Pursuing the Extraordinary God
God has blessed us with a diverse family of believers, recognizing Christ is alive and working in the hearts of His people. Community has a rich history that values the importance of tradition, but is also intentional about demonstrating Christian faith in ways that are relevant today. As you browse this website, we trust you will find helpful information about our ministries and become more familiar with our church family.
Whether you are new to this area or just looking for a church home, we cordially invite you to join us. We’re just like you –ordinary people pursuing the extraordinary God! Community UMC is a place where it’s easy to feel you belong, a place where everyone can make a difference, and a place looking with hope toward the future. Watch a special welcome message from Pastor Ted Wood below.
Message from Pastor Ted regarding COVID-19
As I mentioned Sunday morning in worship, we are in the middle of some strange days. The COVID-19 virus is still very much in the news, and is causing havoc all over our world. Financial markets, school systems, small and large businesses and ordinary activities are all feeling the pain of this pandemic. While we don’t exactly know when it will all end and life will get back to normal, we do know that God is still on His throne. We know He has healing for pandemics as well as healing for our aches and pains. He is all powerful, and nothing is too hard for Him! So in these very uncertain times, we put our faith in the God who heals us(Ex. 15:26), for He is able to heal and to reveal to scientists the modern medicines needed to eradicate this virus. We also must exercise discretion and put people and their safety at the top of our agenda. President Trump has advised all US citizens to not meet in groups larger than 10 persons in order to avoid spreading the virus. Our own Bishop, Ken Carter, has recommended that all FL Conference United Methodist Churches not meet for corporate worship through the month of March. To this end, we are going to do the following:
- We will not meet for corporate worship on March 22nd or March 29th. There will be no 8 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. services on either of those Sundays.
- All meetings with more than 10 person will not be occurring either, including the Hearts of Joy Bible Study, Wednesday Night Dinner and Ministry, Men’s Thursday Morning Bible Study or any gatherings of the same nature.
- The Lay Servant Training and the Wesleyan Covenant Association meeting, scheduled for 3/21, have both been postponed until a later date.
- Outreach events, as well as the FL United Methodist Children’s Home Day on Campus, has been postponed until a later date.
- Singing Seniors Rehearsals and outreach, Church Wide prayer, Choir rehearsals and all other church administrative meetings are canceled throughout the month of March.
- Our Stewardship Campaign, including Consecration Sunday on March 29th, has been canceled until a later date can be decided.
- Our preschool will not be meeting until April 15th in accordance with Seminole County School Board recommendations.
Basically, all meetings and events at CUMC are canceled through at least the month of March, at which time we will be re-evaluating the status of the virus and the concerns of our congregation.
There will be worship, though, in an indirect way! Myself and other staff and lay volunteers will be putting together an online worship experience each week until the crisis is over, and making a link available for everyone to view, via YouTube or similar video service. There will be worship, announcements, a time of prayer and a message to encourage you during this Lenten journey we are on together. We hope this will be a weekly blessing for everyone. If you have special prayer needs that I can lift up in the creation of the worship video, please email those to me at email@example.com.
Please remember that our tithes, gifts and offerings keep the ministry of CUMC going and provide income to our staff who will be working as normally as possible during this uncertain time. You are welcome to mail in your contributions to the church office, or you can give online by clicking here.
In all things, let’s remember to support one another, look out for each other, and care for one another during these troublesome times. If you need help in any way, please reach out to the church office and we will do all in our power to meet your needs with the love of Christ. May God bless you all, and may the Lord bring a mighty healing to our land and to our world!
Vacation Bible School
Save the Dates for VBS 2020: July 20 - 24. Open to all children ages VPK - Rising 5th Grade.